The FP7, DG Connect MOSAIC project is a collaborative Technology Platform, which aims to foster R&D cooperation between Europe and Mediterranean partner countries under European and third country programs. MOSAIC focuses on ICT and societal challenges such as health, food, agriculture, energy, transport, and risk management for critical issues such as action secure societies.
The platform is open for research oriented ICT topics from the private sector and academia. MOSAIC identified Big Data as a technical challenge as well as an opportunity for the region. Therefore MOSAIC is organizing the Arab Big Data Initiative (ABDI) at the American University of Beirut (AUB), August 28-29 2015.
The ABDI workshop brings together industry and academia stakeholders in Big Data in the health, telecom, energy, water, and media industries from the region as well as partners from Europe to discuss challenges and identify collaborative R&D and innovation opportunities in their sectors.
The attendees had the benefit:
• To get information for future opportunities in their research areas in Horizon2020 and many more funding organizations.
• They foster together a common vision for future research topics.
– Usama Fayyad,Barclays Bank, UK; and Oasis500, Jordan.
– Anas Al Natsheh, Centre for Measurement and Information Systems (CEMIS), Finland.
– Prof. Fairouz Farah Sarkis, Director, AOU-Lebanon
– Ayman Mhanna, Executive Director, Samir Kassir Foundation | SKeyes Center (Lebanon)
– Houssine Saf, President of the Multimedia Commission at the Moroccan Numeric Cluster (Morocco) and General Director MCN (Multimedia Content Network
– Bassam Merheb, Co-founder and CTO, Quakevision (Lebanon)
– Dr. Khalid Hudhud, CEO, Int@j – Jordan, Trend of Int@j toward Horizon 2020
– Sami Slim, CEO of IDS, Beirut Lebanon
– Dr. Maher Sughair, King Hussein Cancer Center, Jordan
– Emilie Sueur, Co-Chief Editor, L’Orient Le Jour -Lebanon
– Tonny Velin, Answare, Spain
– Hadmut Holken, Holken Consultants & Partners, France